Splits

Friday 22 July 2016

Intro

This blog is just my way to keep track of the movies I've seen...specifically the movies that have been included in all the editions of  the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die series. I am by no means an expert in the world of the cinema, but have always been a movie fan, and have seen a portion of these movies years before this book/list even existed. Well I am 38 and have seen the likes of The Apartment and Taxi Driver while in primary school; it has been a long journey so far, but I hope to make it longer still and am set on discovering the early treasures :)

That said, I have an abyssmal (not exagerrating!) memory, and most of the movies checked on this list will have to be seen again to be included in the blog, aforementioned ones included. At the moment I am watching the Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (silent movies I tend to break in 2-3 sessions as my concetration tends to weaken when there is no dialogue, is that some kind of cheating..?!) and as soon as I've seen the somnambulist, I thought 'this looks familiar...' It feels like I have seen it sometime, someplace, a long time ago...I used to (and still do) have lists of movies seen in various notebooks, but then I forget which notebooks lol.

I will next post the complete list of 1177 movies, some of which have been removed from editions over the years - 1st edition was published in 2003, and the most recent (9th) one in 2015. In paper I own the 5th anniversary edition (but 3rd overall) from 2008, with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on the cover. As I was living in London in 2009 I was lucky to walk into a local Oxfam store and find it for 5 quid! And while in England I've used the chance to rent movies from Blockbuster per mail, as they had quite a few old classics on repertoire. Now of course its all about downloading, and quite a few movies will be tough to find. But its an enjoyable process and by no means do I put pressure on myself to finish the list at any close date :)

To bring this intro to an end, I will just add what kind of movies I generally like - and there is no simple answer of course! The variety is the key, but overall I will enjoy quirkiness, inovation, atmosphere, realism but also surrealism, and of course good acting. The less preferred genres would be war and sports movies, so I can foresee prolonging those...action movies can go both ways, these days they mostly bore me. And for horrors I simply have too feeble a heart. Those will be the toughest!

No comments:

Post a Comment