Splits

Sunday 7 August 2016

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang


#67 Mervyn LeRoy: I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

Back to the 30's...I have watched this some weeks ago, and it is actually the first time I have heard of the 'Pre-Code Hollywood' *blush*. To explain: it refers to the brief era in the American film industry between 1929 (the introduction of sound films) and 1934 (the enforcement of the Motion Picture Production Code, which censored profanity, sexual innuendo, promiscuity...you get the picture).
It is also my first encounter with Paul Muni of Scarface fame, and was impressed with such a natural presence on screen. In all, the movie shows the broad palette of characters - and the almighty system - who destroy an honest man's life. It has always been an emotional rollercoaster for me to watch people's demise, and this was no exception. In short, worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment